You will receive a developer version of Cotton Candy. Please be aware that the early beta releases of the operating system / firmware for the device are only intended for developer use and have noticeable limitations in several areas, which will be addressed in upcoming software releases.
The first release of Android Ice Cream Sandwich for Cotton Candy features basic Android functionality without custom apps, in addition to an early implementation of FXI’s proprietary Any Screen technology. It has a large number of features, which are ready for developer use, but there are also a number of limitations that include:
- Video playback and streaming works for certain formats, websites and apps, but there are many that are not yet supported.
- Power management is not implemented therefore some USB hosts may not be able to power the device for all use cases.
- Overall stability – Although the OS support is suited for application development and prototyping it is not at the level of an off-the-shelf consumer device. Some instability and bugs are likely to be experienced.
- No Google Play access – Applications must be downloaded through other means such as websites, third party application stores or installed through ADB / microSD.
FXI is committed to providing an excellent platform for commercial products as well as hobbyist development and will be releasing freely downloadable software updates in order to improve the Cotton Candy experience. We also intend to open source large parts of the software code base for Cotton Candy in order to further enable the developer ecosystem and welcome any feedback and suggestions for improvement through our developer forums and issue tracking systems.
Cotton Candy is a USB stick sized compute device that allows users a single, secure point of access to all personal cloud services and apps through their favorite operating system, while delivering a consistent experience on any screen. The device will serve as a companion to smartphones, tablets, and notebook PC and Macs, as well add smart capabilities to existing displays, TVs, set top boxes and other media that supports USB mass storage.
Note: Cotton Candy in the video is an engineering sample
- Provide consumer-friendly access to the Cloud
- Accelerate the adoption of “smart screens”
- Extend the life of consumer hardware like laptops, monitors, TVs, set top boxes, tablets and more by accessing the latest OS, software and apps.
- Provide a consistent experience across all screens
- Create a single point of content storage.
- Consolidation and organization of personal digital content.
- Share media from mobile devices on large screens and projectors – videos, movies, photos, games and more.
- Drive down the cost of computing, allowing more people to have a personal, secure computer.
|Software||Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Ubuntu Linux for ARM
Operativsystemer følger ikke med enheten og må lastes ned separat fra download.cstick.com *
|CPU and Memory||Dual core ARM Cortex-A9
Quad Core ARM Mali-400MP Graphics Processing Unit
Up to 64GB memory local storage (microSD)
|Media support and Connectivity||480p/720p/1080p decode of MPEG4-SP/H.263/H.264 AVC/MPEG-2/VC1
MP3, AAC, AAC+, Real Audio
JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG
Additional video, audio and image formats can be supported through 3rd party codecs
USB 2.0 male connector for power and connection to devices that supports USB mass storage
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
(*) Cotton Candy leveres ikke med et forhåndsinstallert operativsystem. De nødvendige opertivsystemfilene er rundt 2 gigabyte (komprimert). Før utstyret kan brukes må disse lastes ned og skrives til et microSD minnekort som beskrevet i Cotton Candy brukerveiledning.